Safety warning: OSHA can record accidents
Description of accident: On July 25, the operator was discharging from a dust collection system. When he saw that no dust was coming out of the BF159, he stuck his right hand into the bottom of the rotary valve, RV158, to make sure the valve was blocked.
The tips of the middle and ring fingers of his right hand were squeezed by a rotating valve, resulting in a fracture of the distal phalanx of the middle finger and the distal phalanx of the ring finger.
He was rushed to the hospital where he received 10 stitches in his two distal phalanx bones and the broken part was isolated.
Key causes :(causing the accident)
1. Wrong move/operation - extend hand into rotary valve
2. No obvious warning signs are set to remind the operator
3. Failure to comply with SOP.
1. Lack of LOTO awareness and self-protection (reach into rotary valve)
2. There is no proper mechanical protection to prevent hand reaching into the rotary valve
3. Failure to identify hazards and develop SRA
4.SOP is not detailed enough, especially it does not include a problem solving guide
1. Immediately install mesh screen as mechanical protection
2. Set the warning sign board to remind the operator not to put his hand into the rotary valve
3. Inform all employees never to touch/get too close to the rotary valve without performing LOTO